The Nib is seeking a Publishing Assistant
The Nib is looking for someone to fill the new role of Publishing Assistant. We are a small, independent comics publication in need of someone to assist in all matters relating to business operations, from our award-winning print magazine to the membership program that sustains our work.
You should have an interest in comics and progressive/left media and be able to work and communicate well in a deadline-oriented environment to keep our online store, print publication, and payments on track and properly accounted for.
The Publishing Assistant will deal with freelancer payments, magazine vendors, and maintaining our popular online bookstore. They will also be asked to do some public-facing work, such as assisting in marketing efforts and work on building out and maintaining our membership program, The Inkwell. They will deal with a range of tasks from working with brick-and-mortar retailers selling The Nib magazine to online marketing.
This is a US- based hourly contract position for 15–20 hours a week and the pay is $24 an hour. Work hours are flexible across the week and workday, though preference will be given to applicants who can regularly coordinate and meet virtually between 9–5 EST on weekdays. The position is fully remote. The Nib does not have an office as of 2020 and is entirely remote.
- Assist in budgeting and bookkeeping
- Managing our online bookstore
- Maintaining our printer relationship and magazine distribution channels
- Run our monthly payments and invoice vendors
- Work on new distribution channels and advertising relationships
- Assist in marketing efforts across print and digital
- Help in growing and maintaining our membership program
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with budgeting, managing inventory, and/or accepting and managing payments and invoicing
- Adept with spreadsheets
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to existing systems for management of retail, communications, and membership
- Strong interest in publishing, willingness to learn the business, including working with printers & retailers, marketing, and business operations
- Independent and self-directed, but highly communicative and accountable, in particular due to the remote nature of the position
- Experience in the publishing industry
- Strong administrative background
- Interest in or familiarity with comics and/or The Nib
The Nib does not discriminate. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
The Nib is an independent comics publication and entirely reader-supported. We run political cartoons, journalism, essays, and memoir about what is going down in the world — all in comics form, the best medium. We publish hundreds of comics a year online, three print magazines, and sell thousands of books in our online store.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Publishing Assistant.” The deadline for applications is August 17, 2021. We will respond to all submissions within two weeks of that date.